Monday, March 21, 2011

The Carrabean

At Tulum I turned left and started driving along the highway heading north. One grand “all inclusive” resort after another came and went. They may be great when you have booked, but don’t look that inviting to the casual passer by, in fact they are quite intimidating with the armed guards who are on a power trip to let nobody past the gate that is not in the resort transport bus. By the time I had reached Playa Del Carmon I was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to find somewhere to stay. I headed for the village I had been told about a week before which was half way between Playa and Cancun. As soon as I drove down the small road and entered the village of Puerto Morelo I knew I had found my home for the next week. This small village is very much like Airlie Beach was when I first arrived there 20 years ago. Very laid back, everyone knows everyone else (and their business) and the place runs on good food and beer. After driving around a bit I found a nice hotel right on the beach. Perfect.


The view from my balcony. Does it get any better??


Another walk into the centre along the beach


The Old lighthouse and the new


The dive boat


No excuse needed for a parade


Puerto Morelo, Just like Airlie Beach 20 years ago

Apart from getting everything cleaned up and myself rested, I did manage to get most of the rest of my time in Mexico planned out and also went Scuba Diving for the first time in 10 years. The warm water and the abundant fish life (I’ve never seen so many schooling fish) were perfect. The wind causing the waves wasn’t and Captain Chunder struck again!! Mind you I wasn’t the only one after the second dive the divemaster managed to feed the fish too.

One day ran into another and soon the week was gone and it was time to move on. The drive back down the coast to Chetumal was uneventful save the very heavy rain storm I ran into just as I entered the town. The next day the run across the bottom of the Yucatan peninsular was equally uninspiring. These are the long days on a trip like this just to get from one place to another. Escarcega was another overnight stop. Then one more day to Villahermosa.

At least here there was something to stop for. The Parque Museo - La Venta, is a combination of a Zoo and a site where the historic stone carvings from La Venta were moved here when oil exploration threatened the original site. It’s well worth a visit and occupies most of a morning.


What you looking at?? Either a Panther or a black Jaguar.


Some of the bird-life in the region


Stone carvings from La Venta






This ones a Jaguar


Villahermosa

2 comments:

  1. Hello you, Puerto Morelo looks wonderful, just the right sort of place to chill out. The La Venta stone carvings are fascinating. The first one looks just like my boss on a good day!! Bisous XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. CP,

    Glad to hear you went diving again. I guess you didn't have too much trouble convincing them of your credentials. Just like riding a bike I guess...

    I can only agree with Claire - Puerto Morelo looks stunning and just your sort of place. It must occasionally be hard to leave places when you feel comfortable there. The colour of the water near the beach is fascinating.

    Are you planning to head over to the Baja Peninsula? I'm guessing any rides through there won't be very interesting.

    The La Venta carvings also remind me of bosses past. I wonder why they have such sad faces?

    Smile & keep it rubber side down.

    Rgds, Mike H

    ReplyDelete