Thursday, April 14, 2011

Slowly North

The last week has been a slow ride north. Each town two nights giving me enough time to stop and look around (I’m in no hurry) Durango which is a name from the depths of my memory of the cowboy films of my youth. I also crossed the tropic of Cancer so I’m out of the tropics now and the temperature in the early morning and across the high plains at the side of the Sierra Madre shows that.


Durango centro


Big Country


A good landmark

Hidalgo Del Parral was another silver mining town where I took a tour down the mine that shut down operations in 1974. It’s also the town where Pancho Villa was assassinated. Again here there are a lot of Mexican cowboys wandering around and every other shop selling the most ornate boots that you could want. Long straight roads are the order of the day here as I head north towards Copper Canyon.


Hidalgo Del Parral


They are actually wearing these


Not this cowboy though


A view from the top of the mine


The pit head


Down in level two


And the road goes on

1 comment:

  1. CP,

    I almost missed your post. You've stretched them out so far that I almost forget to check.

    I hope you are enjoying the true tourist pace you've been setting, rather than town > town > Town (that is capital town...). I guess it beats finding somewhere with a decent internet connection and posting something. We all understand.

    Well at least I'm beginning to because I have almost no time to make proper posts to "Tenere Mike".

    I see you also have a new video - I'll watch that when I finish here.

    It is good to hear you are still travelling strong without major mishap.

    Keep the rubber side down and be safe, my friend.

    Cheers, Mike H

    ReplyDelete