Friday, November 26, 2010

San Martin

The second day I was in San Rafael I went for a ride to find one of the spots they use for the water sports activities here, rafting and canoeing, but I got lost and didn’t make it. On the way back into town I pulled up alongside a couple of guys on a BMW 1150GS Jorge Chaves and Alejandro Spinello . We stopped for a chat (as much as possible with my limited Spanish) and they invited me to go along with them and a couple of others that were going out for a ride to a canyon that afternoon.


The ride through the Gorge was spectacular


Alejandro liked the Wombat


And he had one or two bikes that I liked!

The ride was spectacular (even though we got wet on the way back, but we called in to say hello to some friends of Alejandro, who invited us to stay for dinner. I got back to the hotel at three in the morning!! But had a very nice evening.

Jorge invited me to come and stay with him in San Martin a small town just outside Mendoza until I could get the bike serviced so I’m experiencing some real Argentinean family life with Jorge, his wife Ingrid and their son Julio. I don’t want to outstay my welcome, but there have been hints that there will be an Asado (BBQ) at the weekend.


Jorge (on the right) with his friend Adriano (who makes some award winning Grappa)


One of the water irrigation channels that feed San Martin


Who needs tread on tyres?? Formula one don't have it.

The bike is with the BMW agent in Mendoza for a 50,000km service. I asked about tyres but they don’t have the Metzler Tourance and the Michelins they offered are quite expensive (maybe because they were made in Spain not Brazil, so I have decided to wait and see what I can get in Santiago in Chile, where they don’t have the import restrictions or high taxes that Argentina does. The back tyre isn’t worn out yet, and the front will last for a little while.


The BMW agent in Mendoza


All ready for the Dakar? This one was used by a local driver last year

No comments:

Post a Comment